Thursday, February 10, 2011

Love 'til it Hurts

With Valentine's Day rapidly approaching, many are trying to figure out how to show their spouses or other people close to them how much they love them. I too have been trying to determine how best to express my feelings, but how do you tell someone that you love them so much, sometimes it hurts.

We all have experienced pain from a relationship. Usually, it is not even so much what that person did, but rather how much we love them that makes it so painful. "Even my close friend in whom I trusted,... has lifted his heel against me." Psalm 41:9 If someone else, whom we were not as close to did that same thing, it would not cause nearly as much pain.

But then I got to thinking - this is how God loves us.

I can't even imagine the pain of watching billions and billions of people that I love, and not in a general sense, but love deeply and personally, turn their backs on me every day. Or what about those who pay lip service and say, "I love you, Lord," but their actions show something much less?


"The Lord was sorry that He had made man on the earth, and He was grieved in His heart." Genesis 6:6


Can you even fathom how much it must hurt to love someone so much that you would sacrifice your only Son just to be close to them? 


While, yes, I can say that there are those in my life that I love so much that I am deeply hurt by them at times; it in no way compares to pain I have caused My Saviour.

Oh My Saviour, Redeemer, Lover of my soul, I am so sorry how I have grieved you. My sin broke the skin on Your back. My betrayal pierced Your hands and feet. And yet You love me still.


That's love 'til it hurts.

1 comment:

Adrienne said...

This might be my favorite post of yours, Barbie. Awesome. I think about this all the time. I have a peace when I'm betrayed or hurt because I know I'm in good company. My ultimate hero, Jesus, has suffered far more than I ever could and yet His mercies are new every day. Mine should be, too, because a servant is not greater than his master.