Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Get Over Yourself!

Oh, this is something I should tell myself every day.

How often do you find yourself feeling sorry for yourself, or feeling guilty about not having done something, or obsessively thinking about something you wish you could do over? Well, I do this often, which means that much of the time my thoughts are full of me.

Me, me, me, what do I have to do today, what do I want to do, what do I need or want, what I wish I could do/have, how I feel about such and such, what I think about this or that, how someone is treating me, I could go on and on.

In the midst of throwing myself a mini pity party, even I became fed up and in my mind I just yelled, "Get over yourself, Barbie!" I mean seriously, how prideful can I be? Apparently very. And of course that got me thinking about just how full of pride I am.

I like to be encouraged, like anyone else, but I've realized that much of the time, I just like to hear people tell me what I am good at, or that I look nice that day. I know what you are thinking, "Who doesn't like to hear that?" And yes, we all like to hear a compliment, but I obsess over such things. In fact, I almost get depressed when I don't get a compliment about something I think I should. Even worse, when someone pays me a compliment and I take the credit instead of giving credit where it is due. This may mean not telling them about the part someone else did to make it successful, that it wasn't all my work, but ooh how the guilt really hits when I don't give credit to God.

You may be thinking that I am just being hard on myself. But wait, let me continue. People often say that during times of prosperity and peace, we neglect our need for Christ and think we can handle life on our own. That couldn't be more true with me. How often I forget my need for a Saviour, as if somehow I got to a point where I no longer need His forgiveness, strength, peace, self-control, mercy, grace! Oh I am so thankful that He doesn't let me forget for very long.

Or how many of us read our Bibles and make it all about us. Yeah, you know what I'm talking about. When you look at the Bible as a though it was specifically written for your personal life. Yes, we are to apply it to our lives, but how many of us our missing the bigger picture of how it speaks to the church as a whole or the fact that the ENTIRE Bible is written to point us to Christ! It's really more about how He has revealed Himself to us. But it's so easy to read it and think, "So what does this have to do with me?" and do Bible study with that goal, finding what it has to do with you. What if we instead asked, "So what does this have to do with Christ?" and after we answer that, "Knowing that, what do I need to change to make my life reflect that?"

So you can see, that it is necessary for me to tell myself periodically

"GET OVER YOURSELF! Who do you think you are anyway?"

Life is not all about me. It's about Christ and what He has done in my life. Now if only I could remember that day by day, moment by moment.

1 comment:

Glen said...

Welcome to the club of humanity. Good thoughts. Glen